We all experience aches and pains especially as we get older. Many of us also live in a pill popping society and are quick to reach for the over-the-counter pain killers without giving it too much thought. Tylenol, Aspirin, and Advil can provide quick relief. The problem with some of these pills is that over time, there can be negative side effects. That’s where natural pain killers come into play. Lots of natural ways to ease our pain and many of these can grow in our own backyards which makes them easier on our wallets.
The problem with Tylenol and NSAIDs
Taking NSAIDs and Tylenol long term can be risky. NSAID stands for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and we know them as aspirin, naproxen (Aleve), ibuprofen (Motrin and Advil).
Tylenol is in a separate category from NSAIDs, but it also comes with some risks like liver failure.
12 Natural Pain Killers
Below is a list of 12 highly effective natural pain killers that can be used for a variety of ailments. Always speak with your doctor prior to changing or adding any additional medicines, natural or otherwise.
- From the European arnica flower.
- Treats inflammation and can boost the immune system. Can also treat muscle pain, insect bites, mouth pain, and osteoarthritis.
- How to take: gel, cream, capsules
Boswellia (AKA Frankincense)
- From the Indian boswellia plant.
- Treats rheumatoid arthritis, minor and chronic pain.
- How to take: cream, capsules
- From the South African fruit.
- Treats arthritis, back pain
- How to take: tea, capsules
Fermented Cod Liver Oil
- Has lots of Omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
- Treats inflammation, migraines, arthritis, and chronic pain.
- How to take: with a spoon, capsules
- Is a food spice with lots of medicinal properties.
- Treats poor circulation, nausea, and inflammation.
- How to take: cook with it, tea, capsules.
Ginseng (Red Panax Ginseng)
- This herb has been a part of Chinese medicine for centuries.
- Treats inflammation, chronic pain, depression, anxiety, stress.
- How to take: tea, capsules
Lavender Essential Oil
- Comes from the lavender flower.
- Treats headaches, back pain, stress, sleeplessness.
- How to take: can inhale the vapors, apply a couple of drops to forhead and neck.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Found in cold water fish, hempseed, and flaxseed.
- Treats inflammation and joint pain.
- how to take: eat cold water fish, flaxseed, capsules
Peppermint Essential Oil
- Peppermint essential oil comes from the peppermint plant.
- Treats muscle aches and headaches
- How to take: must dilute in a carrier oil first before using. You can then rub the mixture on your neck, forehead or on sore muscles.
- This is an enzyme found in silkworms.
- Treats inflammation and sinus infections.
- How to take: capsules
- From the turmeric flower, it’s used as a spice in Indian cuisine and also has a ton of medicinal properties.
- Treats inflammation and also has anti oxidant, anti microbial, and anti tumor properties. Turmeric was instrumental in helping me get rid of a painful boil a few years ago.
- How to take: cook with it, tea, capsules
- Comes from the white willow tree bark.
- Treats inflammation, toothaches, and menstrual cramps. Shouldn’t give to children because of Reyes syndrome risk.
- How to take: tea, tincture, capsules.
What has been your experience with these natural pain killers. Let us know in the comments below.
Please be aware: We are not medical professionals and this post is not intended to be professional medical advice. The information on this post and website are intended for informational purposes only. If you have any health concerns, please see a medical professional.